Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Drop It Like Its Hot

May of Sophomore year, I was 16 and I didn't care much about anything except having an awesome end of the school year into a sweet summer. I had two really good girlfriends, both seniors at St Mark's. Their names were Sarah and Sarah. I would hangout with them on a regular basis during freshman and sophomore year and they were my two biggest influences that helped me open my eyes to a whole new way of living life. As their senior prom and graduation rolled around, they started caring less and less about school and Delaware considering they were moving to Arizona in a few short months. They invited me to their senior prom and I was going to be shared as their date. For a second, just imagine how cool I felt. I was a sophomore taking two of the hottest seniors at St. Mark's to their senior prom. If that isn't cool than I don't know what is. Prom is now three days away and the Sarah's have other plans on their mind. They decide instead of going to prom, (which they think will be lame) they sell their prom tickets and buy tickets to see Snoop Dogg in Atlantic City at the House of Blues. I thought this beat prom by a long shot so I too sell my ticket in order to buy my Snoop one instead. Night of the concert rolls around and my parents actually think I'm going to senior prom. In order for me not to get caught since they are expecting prom pics and I already rented a tux prior to getting my ticket for Snoop, the Sarah's and I take fake prom pictures and send them to my parents as cover up for prom. Genius. Right before we leave we find out that our friend Mike(also a St. Mark's senior) is seeing Snoop too! We pick him up on our way to AC as we prepare for a night to not remember. After a two hour car ride to AC, we're already tipsy and experiencing life like none other. I step onto the boardwalk and instantly start taking pictures with famous rapper Big Krit and he lets me try on his $40,000 Stewie from family guy chain, entirely made of gold and diamonds. After some boardwalk travel, we step on in to the House on Blues in anticipation of seeing one of my west coast idols. For a little backround information, the House of Blues is a relatively small venue with no seating, just standing. We end up about 15 feet from the stage, I could probably have felt Snoop sweat on me. Snoop steps on stage around 10:30 and by now I'm already smashed off tequila and 4loko that these awesome australian guys were cool enough to buy for me and my crew. I start dancing with the Sarah's and Snoop is giving a hell of a show. After he gets the crowd nice and crazy, he decides its time to get us insane and plays his hottest song, "Drop It Like Its Hot" I'm dancing with Sarah DeRita when the song comes on and we lose our minds to the words and heavy bass. After that I pretty much blacked out and don't really know what happened. I ended up in Sarah Derita's house around 3 am and wake up at 3. I come home to my parents thinking I was at prom, little do they know I just had the sickest time of my life in Sin City.

This is where it gets interesting. Approximately a month goes by and by now I've told all my friends and cousins about my awesome night in AC and they're in utter disbelief. One afternoon my loudmouth cousin Tyler goes on a nice jog with my dad and decides to tell him about Snoop, unbeknownst to him that he thinks I actually went to prom while Tyler thinks my dad knows I went to AC. I get a call from my dad later that day referring to me as a mastermind schemer(proud moment for me). I didn't get in any trouble and I couldn't have expected a weirder reaction coming from my dad who happens to be a State Trooper.
A day in the life of Ryan Mayberry.

1 comment: